Both cash and loan payment options allow companies to take advantage of the 30% federal tax credit as well as both state and federal accelerated depreciation that can represent another 20%. But for some companies, there is an additional 25% federal government grant for energy efficiency that they may be eligible for called the REAP Grant (Rural Energy for America Program). Qualifying for a solar panel grant could reduce your project cost by up to 75%, if combined with tax credits and other incentives – making renewable energy an affordable option for rural businesses and agriculture producers.
Here are some highlights of the REAP Grant:
- Available to ag producers and rural small businesses
- The solar panel grants are for projects greater than $200K and can cover 25% but cap at $500,000 (the grants ALWAYS run out in some states like California)
- Grants have a rotating application. The next application is due April 1st, 2019
- Grants are only available for cash or loan (no leases)
- In addition to the government grant for solar panels, there is an 80% federal loan guarantee for up to $5M
REC Solar has worked with several companies whose projects have qualified for these solar panel grants. As the 2019 grant deadline draws near, we would love to review your situation and see if a REAP grant is something your solar project can take advantage of. We work with third-party grant writers that can make your application as competitive as possible.
REAP grants are competitive and are never guaranteed. However, the 75% potential discount can make REAP grants well worth the attempt! Want to see how much your company can save with solar and if you qualify for a REAP Grant? Give our solar experts a call at 844.732.7652 and we can look at your site and evaluate your savings options.